A personal triumph
Sometimes I think there's no greater satisfaction than overcoming myself, or to do something I've never tried before and always wondered if I could.

I've always loved the water, and the sea.. I love the calm it brings me, like nothing else can. Love the ease I feel being in or around water. I'm glad that my parents have started me off swimming since young, despite any reservations they may have had about whether I could do it.

Snorkelling, I've tried and I love it! It's something I could engage in happily hour after hour. That sensation of flying over a whole new world, one with amazing colors and sights, that lives and breathes and moves... Mmmm.


The natural progression to that, I feel, is scuba diving of course. I've been toying with the idea of getting an Open Water Cert for quite a while now, and bcause school's slated to start next April, it feels like now or wait a few more years (yes, I'm going for a degree. Part-time basis, then finish up the last semester in Perth). In a way, I guess I've been putting it off cos I felt a little shy about volunteering information to strangers about my arm. And also wanting to avoid the fact that sometimes reality bites; what if it turns out I can't do it??

Anyway, I had a sudden urge to improve myself, so I marched into a dive centre near my office, and explained to the owner, Stanley, about my arm and all. Stanley, was concerned about my ability to retrieve the breathing tube if I lost it in the water because the tubing runs from my right side from the air tank. He offered me a trial pool dive session, which I think that's really nice of him!

So we made an appointment for the weekend (just this morning) and he got a lady instructor, Cheryl, to assist me. She was really warm and patient. Following her instructions, I attempted to retrieve the breathing apparatus with an arm sweep, and caught it. No worries there. Then, I tried using my left hand to reach back to trace the tube from where it's attached to the tank. Had a little difficulty there reaching around to grab the tube.

Cheryl wasn't too concerned, though, saying that such things can be customised according to my preference, i.e, the tubing could run from the left side of the tank instead. Which I tried later on when Stanley brought along a tank he managed to unearth from his office. It made things easier, but I do think I could survive with a right-hand tubing as well.

Then, Cheryl had me try 'losing' my mask, wearing it back, and clearing the water from it. I didn't want my lenses to come swimming out, so I kept my eyes closed and did everything by feel. Actually, I found this a lot easier than the previous activity; can take my own sweet time cos I've still got my air supply.

So.. Passed! I can do it!!! Still feeling quite euphoric now... I'm going to sign up for the course with Aldran once my pay's in. Yippee!

Aldran has been talking to me about Singapore's sailing team for handicapped athletes. They're short of sailors and need more. Hmm.. National sailor, me?? :)

Dreamt on Sunday, October 21, 2007; 8:39 AM 2 Comments


Spring's Secret Garden


previous..

beyond..

credits..
Layout: Blurrz
Resources: Pootato; Portfelia