![]() |
It's been a happening weekend!
On Friday night, dearie came over for dinner cos I was cooking beehoon soup. Something simple; just minced meat, vegetables and egg for the soup. It didn’t turn out so nice.. :(
*Tip for cooking minced meat in soup: mix some soya sauce and sesame oil in the minced meat first, otherwise the meat will be dry and taste ummm… porky.
And we also experimented with some finger foods for a Christmas gathering at a friend’s place on Saturday.
Here’s a simple but yummy item to make:
Mushrooms wrapped with Bacon on Skewers
Ingredients:
- 10 x Long pieces of thinly sliced streaky bacon
- 5 x Fresh Mushrooms (white or brown button mushrooms or small Portobello), washed and halved
- Capsicum, leek or any other vegetable suitable for bbq or pan-frying, cut into 15 pieces
- Satay sticks or skewers
Preparation:
1. Wrap each mushroom half with one slice of bacon, and skewer
2. Alternate with capsicum (the vegetables help hold the bacon in place!)
*each skewer should consist of 3 pieces of capsicum and 2 bacon-and-mushroom pieces
4. Pan fry or barbeque until mushroom is visibly cooked.
Serve! Makes 5 skewers.
We also attempted to make chicken wings de-boned and stuffed with mozzarella cheese. But this is better attempted with fresh chicken cos the meat doesn’t stick to the bone and it’s much easier to pull out. Sadly, we used frozen chicken wings and had hell of a time de-boning them. Got quite grossed out after 5 pieces (we bought like 20 over pieces) with all the raw meat and blood and mad tugging.
I’m making cute lil xmas gifts for my closer colleagues. The entire department has got about 60 people and I don’t think I even know all their names! (oops!) So on Fri, late night, after cooking and cleaning up, dearie and I were dyeing wooden clothes pegs. Hehe.. each person will get 3 yummy Royce chocolates wrapped in pretty white and gold tissue paper, secured with a clothes peg that has a “Merry Christmas” confetti and my colleague’s name on it. Sounds nice? I’ll take pics to post up! Ooh.. I wish for a good camera phone!
On Saturday, we went to watch Jack and the Beansprout at the National Library. Thought it was very interactive and I was impressed by the props! Like the cute cow.. err sorry, dog (Ah Kow), the huge cockroach legs, the HDB flat that was designed to give the audience a viewpoint of looking up from the bottom of the building. Funny, yes, but not quite naughty enough, probably cos it’s catered for children as well. Overall, I find that it’s very very creative in the development of the storyline, characters and props! An extremely enjoyable way to spend my Saturday afternoon!

Over to Chin Ee and Hee Juan’s place for our potluck dinner. What a feast! There was salad, Clam Chowder soup, pasta tossed in herbs and olive oil, our bacon skewers and chicken wings of course, smoked salmon, and mango log cake. We also played with the couple’s 11-month old son, Matthew. He’s so cute lor! Extremely charming smile that melts my heart. I think little children look very kitten-ish. Same playful manner and cute outlook.
Sunday, up early after staying over at dearest’s place. To the inaugural Singapore Garden Festival. Because we weren’t equipped with a camera, I’ll just describe my favorite exhibits. I thought many of them were more like art!
I liked Anne’s Dream by Far East Flora very much, because it invoked many feelings in me. The concept is that a plant-lover, Anne had a dream one day that earth was finally overtaken over-taken by pollution. Acid rain fell relentlessly, killing trees and plants everywhere. Mutant plants struggled to survive in the fetid air. In desperation, Anne traveled the world in search of a suitable haven where her ferns could live.
Picture this big oval-sized dome with walls that look like they were made of dirt. The moment I stepped in, my senses were overwhelmed by the sound of rain dripping dripping dripping onto the many puddles in the forest, the smell of decay and brown, damp, depressing environment. Nothing was left of the trees except the stumps and bare branches. Where was the grass and the moss that usually grow on the ground? There were only rotting leaves and dirty puddles all over. What of the lush green foliage? Only alien-looking plants existed in this world.
Poor Anne put her precious ferns in baubles for protection. Should her ferns put out spikes and grow tubers to ward off the fierce Sahara climate? Or rely on needle-like leaves to withstand the cold of the artic? Where could her ferns survive?
In the end, she woke up to discover that it was all a dream. Her ferns still grew lush and green in her garden. I don’t think I’ve ever thought that ferns were so beautiful before.
Another display I liked was the a cottage garden, done up in a very English manner but using tropical plants. There were vines on the fences, flowerbeds, wooden table with benches and even the front of a cosy little cottage! I would love to live somewhere like that, but I think this would only be perfect with cool weather. Imagine sitting in a garden in Singapore’s daytime weather. I’d be all sweaty and sticky. Eeks..
Of course the orchid exhibition was gorgeous. There were countless orchid species on display, and so beautiful that I was very tempted to buy some plants home! I’m so inspired by the garden displays that I'm thinking of doing up my balcony real nicely. Ok! One thing at a time. Cats first for now.. :)
I wish I had more photos to post. Hmmm will get from dearie’s mobile hehehe. Should I get the Samsung E900? 2mp camera!
Ended off my weekend with more art-and-crafts at night for my office Christmas gifts! Things on my Christmas wishlist (oh Santa I’ve been so so good), aka where my bonus will be going:
1. Sterilise Boy boy
2. Golden earrings (bought! Very pretty!)
3. Rollerblades
4. A handheld electronic Sudoku game for daddy
5. Scuba-diving course
6. Wallet
7. Casual sandals
8. Sunglasses
9. Handphone (Samsung E900???)